How to Fix Print Head Problems in HP OfficeJet Pro 8000 PrintersJanuary 21, 2014 No Comments
The HP OfficeJet Pro 8000 Printer Series is consisted of OfficeJet Pro 8000, OfficeJet Pro 8000 Wireless and OfficeJet Pro 8500. These printers use the same replacement ink cartridges, the HP 940XL ink cartridges: HP C4906AN black ink, HP C4907AN cyan ink, HP C4908AN yellow ink and HP C4909AN magenta ink. This set of inks has printing page capacities of up to 2,200 pages for black-and-white printouts and 1,400 pages for colored printouts.
For today’s article, we’re going to give a compilation of solutions to one of the most common problems faced by HP OfficeJet Pro 8000 printer users and that is regarding how to fix the “Printhead Problem” error message displaying on their computer. Below are four troubleshooting steps on how you can fix this problem on your own. The following solutions are from HP Support Center:
Problem: A display error message stating “PrintHead Problem” will display on your computer or the printhead lights will blink. Printer will not do any printing jobs.
The usual cause of this problem is mainly the ink cartridge is not installed properly, the ink cartridge is defective or the printer needs some cleaning. To solve this problem, refer to the following solutions below.
Solution 1 – Perform a Power Reset
- Press the Power button of the HP OfficeJet Pro 8000 Printer to turn of the product.
- Disconnect the power cord of from the rear of the printer.
- Then disconnect the power cord from the electrical outlet.
- Wait for 30 seconds.
- Then reconnect the power cord to the electrical outlet.
- Next, reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
- And lastly, turn on the Power button of your printer.
Solution 2 – Clean the Electrical Contacts
- Clean the contacts on the print head. To do this, turn on the printer and open the top cover then press and hold the OK button for five seconds.
- Wait for the cartridge carriage to move to the left side of the product. When that happens, release the OK button and wait until the cartridge carriage is still then unplug the power cord from its electrical outlet.
- After that, lift the printhead latch then lift the handle on the printhead that the error message indicates is missing or damaged, then pull the printhead out of its slot.
- Use a dry, soft and lint free cloth to remove any ink from the electric contacts on the print head. Make sure to wipe the electric contact (1) with the swab until no ink residue remains and wipe it with a fresh cloth to dry them and remove lint.
- When the printhead is clean, place them on a sheet of paper or paper towel. Just make sure that the ink nozzles face up and do not touch the paper.
- While waiting for the printhead to dry up, start cleaning the electric contacts inside the product. Use a dry and soft, lint-free cloths to clean the electric contacts then wait for five minutes for it to dry. Check if there is any lint then clean it again if needed.
- Lastly, restart the product. Plug the power cord into its electrical outlet then press the power button. Proceed to insert the printhead into its color-coded slot then press it down firmly until its makes contact with the electric contacts inside the printer. After that, pull the printhead latch all the way forward and press down to engage the latch. If any error message occurs, repeat cleaning the printhead and the electric contacts. Lastly, close the cover of the HP OfficeJet Pro 8000.
Solution 3 – Replace the Printhead
- Press the power button of your HP OfficeJet Pro 8000. Then open the top cover of the product.
- Press and hold the OK button for five seconds until the cartridge carriage moves to the left side of the printer then release the OK button.
- Wait till the carriage is still then lift the printhead latch.
- Then lift the handle on the printhead you are replacing then pull the printhead out of its slot.
- Shake the new printhead package six times then remove the new printhead from the package. After that remove the protective caps from the printhead.
- After that, insert the printhead into its respective color-coded slot. Remember that the label on the printhead must match on the printhead latch. Press it down firmly until it makes contact with the electric contacts.
- Pull the printhead latch all the way forward then press down the latch firmly to engage the latch.
- If there are any error messages, try placing the new printhead again.
- Lastly, close the cover of the product then restart and try to print an alignment page.
If any of the following solutions didn’t work out, contact the HP Solution Center or HP Assistance Service to report your HP OfficeJet Pro 8000.
Images credit to HP Solutions Center